Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Fast Forward!

So, the past few weeks have been pretty crazy. I moved home, visited with my good friends, said goodbye to my good friends, bought more textbooks, battled with the financial aid department of three different colleges, filled out forms, tried and re-tried on my sweet scrubs, went to surg tech orientation, me and my momma went to Cabin Heaven, GA...






Our cute little cabin in Dahlonega, Georgia! 

I walked my fat chihuahua up and down the street 50 times...

Tyson: Take one

Tyons: Take Two


Glamour Shot.
...and then I FINALLY got to see a couple cool surgeries. Phew!

Being back at home hasn't been as bad as I thought. It's not ideal but food does magically appear in the fridge here and cash magically finds its way into my wallet much easier than cash did in Tallahassee. When I moved back here the one positive I could think of was not having to hear rap music busting through my window on a nightly basis. BUT, Ormond Beach certainly makes up for its lack of rap music aficionados with its robust elderly population currently with driver's licences. Ohmygoddd get out of my frickin' WAY! Buicks 'round these parts are in a constant state of negative acceleration. I swear I don't understand how they ever get anywhere. Attention Old People: just because your car is always slowing down doesn't mean that time is slowing down. 

The extent of what I remember from physics...
Anyway, onto the good stuff! My 10 and 1/2 month program has officially begun! Orientation was about 9 hours long and by the end of the day I felt drunk. We went over a lot of info and I got to meet everyone in my class. There are 24 of us and the make-up is as follows:

18:6 female to male
60% White, 40% Black/Hispanic/Indian
Ages evenly spread between 19 and 50ish

It's a pretty motley crew, but everyone I've talked to has been really nice and just as excited as I am to see some blood and guts! Which is refreshing! Or disturbing...hmmm...

At orientation we had to introduce ourselves whilst seated. I hate doing that. It's awkward, especially when you're first and in the front row, because you're kind of staring straight ahead talking about yourself to no one. I guess I could have turned around but then you're looking up at everyone and that's also awkward. I rambled about my chihuahua, Tyson, and that I liked to eat. Moving on...

We took a tour of our facilities and I was really impressed with the college's lab and equipment available. Our lab is set up with 5 mini O.R. rooms, a scrub room and a central supply room with millions of tiny instruments and green towels. The mini O.R.'s each have a table, a dummy, overhead light fixtures and all of the other metal tables and buckets. It's stocked and I am in heaven :) All of the equipment we'll ever see in an O.R. is in the lab and I can't wait to find out how to use it all!

Disney Land for the Disturbed :)
I couldn't wait to get into an actual O.R. the following week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment