Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Last Time.

At 11 o'clock tomorrow, I will drive onto campus a student and drive off campus an alumni.

 I'm kind of freaking out. When I think of the word "alumni," I imagine a big-bellied dad and a visor-wearing mom at a tailgate watching all of the college madness and reminiscing. I do not want to reminisce. I'm here! I'm here! I'm still a fun, skinny, drunk, optimistic, college co-ed just living for today! Or at least I could be! I'm not going to turn into an alumni tomorrow! I refuse! I'll do anything.

For the past few weeks of summer, I've been living in a weird place of denial and sentimentality. I'm driving my boyfriend nuts because of my melodramatic statements such as, "This is the last time I'm ever going to shop in this Wal-Mart on Tennessee Street." Or, "This is the last time I'm ever going to sit in this bed in this house and study transcription factors."

The Last Time. 

I feel like four years just slipped out of my hand like a slimy fish before I even got a chance to look at it.

The week before graduation has been especially strange because simultaneously everything is changing and nothing is changing.  All of my worldly possessions are either being hastily boxed-up or dumped by the car-full at Goodwill. Dumping them at Goodwill is kind of painful for me...I think I have a hoarder's mentality that everything I own is special or something.


They're just so rough at Goodwill! Their greedy, grubby hands hungrily snatch your prized possessions and throw them into a giant heap of other people's gross crap without regard to their importance or value. Goodwill doesn't make it easy to down-size.


And not only is my life being packed away box-by-box, but I have to give my foster children (read: cats) back to their orphanage (read: Humane Society) tomorrow. I never thought I would like cats, but I have become a total cat lady. Here's Fluffer among boxes as I write:

My Fur Child
Although everything is changing around me (friends moving to and fro, houses and furniture selling, fur children leaving), nothing is changing.

I'm still sitting in bed, eating, with study guides and notes scattered all around me. I have a final tomorrow and am procrastinating like usual via any way possible. People are still emailing me about fall club meetings that I joined two years ago. I need to grocery shop. The world is just...going about its usual Thursday business. Hello, world! I'm graduating tomorrow, people! Shouldn't there be a day of remembrance or candle vigil or something? My entire life as I know and love it is about to change

But, I have to keep telling myself that CHANGE is GOOD. I'm about to embark on another great adventure. This time next week, I'll be meeting up with old, wonderful, high-school friends for drinks.


 In less than a month, I will be in an O.R. watching surgery. This time next year...who knows?!

Mantra of the week: Embrace change!










1 comment:

  1. Brilliant, my young Grasshooper...I mean Grasshopper...you are ready to spring from childhood to adulthood!

    No more lounging in bed thinking everyday is Saturday, with Netflix on the big screen, cell phone in hand and movie-theater popcorn in the microwave.

    Nope, my dear young woman...it is time to grow up. To learn what it's like to hear the alarm at 4:40 a.m. and to make sure you arrive at your clinical rotation by 6:15.

    Ahhh...the joy of becoming an adult. Ain't it grand???

    And, by the way, how is it you are so beautiful? Hm. Must be from your Mom! :)

    So incredibly proud of you.

    Life is a treasure. Enjoy the journey. Every step of the way.

    I'll be here if you need me!

    ReplyDelete