Saturday, August 6, 2011

So, what exactly is a surgical tech?

According to the Association of Surgical Technologists, a surgical tech:


1. Checks supplies and equipment needed for surgical procedure
2. Scrubs, gowns, and gloves
3. Sets up sterile table with instruments, supplies, equipment, and
medications/solutions needed for procedure
4. Performs appropriate counts with circulator prior to the operation and before
incision is closed
5. Gowns and gloves surgeon and assistants
6. Helps in draping sterile field
7. Passes instruments, etc., to surgeon during procedure
8. Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during procedure
9. Prepares sterile dressings
10. Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization
11. Assists other members of team with terminal cleaning of room
12. Assists in prepping room for the next patient
13. Preps patient before surgery




Short, non-medical version?  On Grey's Anatomy, when Derek begins some particularly-intense brain surgery and he yells out into the darkness, "Scalpel!" and one magically appears in his beautiful hand? Well, I'm the one who puts it there. Difference between Grey's and reality? Most surgeons look like:




not...
Oh, how I need Season 7 in my life!
So, as far as surgery goes...I'm pretty l-o-w on the totem pole. Actually, I'm pretty sure I'm the lowest person in the OR during surgery BUT that's okay! I'm there to watch and learn! 


According to The Bureau of Labor Statistics: Surgical Technologists (the middle 50 percent) earned between $32,490 and $46,910. *Which is a little high for Florida, based on my own research. And, like most healthcare jobs, "employment is expected to grow much faster than average." 
So, I certainly won't be livin' large, but I will be able to find a job and get by until I start PA school. Sounds like a good plan to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment