Friday, September 16, 2011

Well, hello outside world! Part II...

I have a feeling that a lot of my blog postings are going to be split up into parts. I kinda have a lot to say!

...which is weird because I'm generally a quiet, reflective, listener-type person day-to-day. I guess everything I want to say is so pent up that when I get some form of outlet to express myself it's like, "WELL, HEY THERE! Listen to ME!" A lot of my life is spent listening to other people whose sole interest in life is being heard and who don't give a darn as to what I want to say. It's super annoying...although I'll continue to keep nodding and smiling...

Enter: blogging. I <3 blogging. Blogging + Me = 4ever.

Anyway, back to my story!

So, every morning I stuff a Dark Chocolate and Nut Trail Mix bar into my face on my way to school.


I also hit the gas, slam on my brakes, cuss, scream and think murderous thoughts as I try to navigate my way through endless lanes of idiots without being late. I swear, it's amazing to me how many people are out on the road at 7 am who are not in a hurry to get anywhere. Are there seriously people who leave for life early? I imagine they're listening to this while puttering down the road, not a care in the world:


(They're also probably the same people who had the time to animate the above stick figure video...) So, I finally get to the small state college where I attend my program just in time to find a parking spot, which isn't nearly as bad as trying to find parking at FSU. Not even close, but still a pain. Then, I sprint (...okay, walk quickly) to the Health and Human Sciences Building, press the elevator button for the 4th floor, feel guilty for not taking the stairs and then finally, I arrive on the Surgical Tech Floor. Time to put my happy face on!


Within three weeks, everyone now knows me as the sweet, shy, smart girl. I try with all of my might to escape this image, but I cannot. So now, every morning when I walk into our locker room, it's like (spoken an octave higher than normal),

"Ohhhh, hiiii Erinnnn! How areeee youuuu, honey?"

Grr. Actually, I'm frickin' in a bad mood and wish you wouldn't talk to me like I'm a new puppy...



My response, however?

"I'm goooooood! How are youuuuu?" And the cycle of annoying, patronizing, elevated voices continues...

Once all of my stuff is in my locker and my hair is wrestled onto the top of my head, it's time to begin. We have lab every morning from about 8 am to 11-ish. This is when we practice our sweet, surgical tech skills.

For example, yesterday we learned and practiced how to open and drape our back table (which is where we keep all of our instruments) and how to gown and glove the surgeon. It's not as easy as it sounds!

(This isn't the most accurate video, but what I'm talking about starts at 3:00 if you're interested! We were practicing being the lady talking...)



So, after lab we have our first of many food breaks throughout the day. This is about the time that I trundle up to the front of our classroom and gorge on whatever baked goods people have brought in for the day (e.g. Dunkin Doughnut holes, chocolate cupcakes with homemade chocolate ganache etc.).

Me- muscling myself up to the doughnut trough...
And before I can even wipe the chocolate ganache from my face, it's time for lecture!

*So, go forth calories! Live well and prosper on my belly! Don't worry, I won't be burning you off any time soon!*

Lecture is suuuuper boring right now. Yesterday, we spent three hours talking about the different fibers and weaves of surgical towels and which ones to use when. Baghhhh. Which is why my notes look like:


and this beauty...


Sometime in the middle of lecture, we take our lunch break. By that time, I've already eaten all of the lunch I packed so I go with the guys over to the hospital across the street and eat with them at the cafeteria.


We talked about cars and speeding tickets for 40 minutes. It's great, guys are so simple :)

Then we walk back for more lecture/doodle session until 3-ish and then the day is over! That's about it! Fun, fun, fun!

*Also, the test that I remembered I had this morning? It was 52 questions and I got 100%.

Yep, #1 Surg Tech RIGHT HERE! Whoop, Whoop!

Now, I'm going to finish watching The Notebook and cry myself to sleep tonight! Yay! TGIF!

No comments:

Post a Comment