Thursday, September 15, 2011

Well, hello outside world!

I haven't had anything really exciting to share due to the fact that I have been in school...every day...at 7:30 am...for the past three weeks. It's been a rough transition for me, especially the 5:45 am wake-up call. My days  have been bleeding together so much so that I feel like the entire space of time since my program started has just been one long, draining day.


So, due to the fact that I don't even know which way is up right now, I'm just going to give a run-down of a day in the life of a surg tech student. Specifically today, since I really can't remember what happened yesterday! I assure you- it. will. be. RIVETING!

SO. At approximately 5:44 this morning, I was vividly dreaming about being in an airplane. A huge passenger airplane that was bright red. The plane was empty and dark inside. I was in a seat in the wayyy back of the plane eating a pickle. Not the Jewish, refrigerated, kosher pickles but the gross Vlasic-type of pickle.

***Public Service Announcement: For the love of God, do not Google image "Jewish pickles."***
And the plane was getting ready to take-off but it was in the middle of a highway with cars that wouldn't let us onto the ramp. A friend [whose name rhymes with pope] opens the door of the cock pit and starts rolling herself down the aisle past me. She's the pilot (obviously) and so I start freaking out because I don't know if anyone's flying the darn plane. [Background: I do not like to fly. I take prescription anti-seizure medication so that I can pass the *&^ out and not know that there is a mere 20 feet of metal separating me from my imminent death.] But then, I feel the plane's engines revvvv up and we begin ascending into the sky. I sprint up the aisle thinking that maybe I can fly the plane *but* long story short, we don't get up high enough and we crash into a huge water dam.

I really wish I didn't just Google plane crash images...

DING A LING A LING DING A LING A LING!!!!!!!!!!!!

My eyes snap open and I painfully whack my hand on my side table trying to strangle the inanimate life out of my phone. My alarm scares the heck out of me every morning! Does this happen to anyone else?! I've tried different ring tones, but they all are so jarring! I wake up and my heart is thumping out of my chest! Someone may as well come bust into my room while bashing on a cymbal and throwing lizards on my head! [Side note: I really hate lizards. So, don't do that.] Anyway, this morning was a little different because I had to do a little car switcheroo with my mom...

[Yesterday, on my way home from class, the hot/cold gauge on my car was suddenly pointing to HOT and my air conditioner shut off. I thought, "Hmm..weird." So, I called Kevin and he told me to pull off the road immediately because my engine might explode.


And because I know nothing about cars and take everything literally, I swung what I thought was a ticking time bomb across three lanes of traffic into the Einstein's parking lot and jumped out waiting for an explosion. Well, nothing like that happened. What did happen was I waited around for my wonderful dad to come rescue me and buy me a lemonade at Einstein's. Another long (hot, annoying, pain-in-my-butt) story short, I had a cracked radiator and now I have a new, un-cracked radiator! Ta-Da! Thank you people-who-know-what-a-radiator-is!]

Still not simple enough nor interesting enough for me to understand...

So, back to this morning. My mom came to my dad's house at 6 am, picked me up in my pajamas and we drove to the hospital where she stayed to do her clinical's for the day. Then, I drove her car home and began my morning ritual. However, I do not remember being in the car with her because I was in the black void of a serious sleep-deprived coma...

My morning usually consists of me re-setting my alarm for 15 minute intervals until I look at my phone and FLIP OUT because I only have 10 minutes left to get my scrubs on, brush my teeth, pack my lunch and do my daily Tyson-spooning on my bed before I leave whilst telling him to have a good day and to bark at lots of people.


Ohmygoddd it's so earlyyyy...turn the light back offff...


Whoa. Wait. Did you say, "Bark at people?!" Do continue...
 So, once my lunch is bagged and my nest of hair has been adequately tamed for public viewing, I make a frantic dash out to my car to valiantly battle Volusia county traffic...

The rest of my *exciting* "day in the life of a surgical tech student" will have to be continued tomorrow because:

1. This post is getting long. I mean, it's not like you have anything better to be doing so...Oh, wait. You do?
2. I seriously just remembered I have a test in the morning. I'm such an awesome student.
3. There is an OWL hooting outside my window.

This post is about to go in another direction, but I found this video of an owl hooting that sounds just like the one outside right now. I had to keep pausing the video to make sure it was the video and not the real owl!


Also, here's a funny bird video that I watched in bio lecture this summer to cap off this really random posting.  I'm losing my mind...off to study! The funny part is at the end! Will get to the good stuff about class and such tomorrow! I may even put a pic up of me in my gown and gloves! Super exciting...

3 comments:

  1. Any alarm always startled me. When I was a kid, my day turned on my bedroom light rather than use an alarm, same result, startled. Josh can sleep standing up, and doesn't hear his alarm unless it is equivalent to a blaring freight train. Luckily I wake up first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and thanks for reading Aunt Sandy!

    Karen- Haha glad to know it's not just me! We must be light sleepers or something...darn alarms!

    ReplyDelete